Filming and photography application guidelines

Parks Victoria manages some of Victoria’s most spectacular public spaces including National Parks, State Parks, Crown Land Reserves, Port Phillip and Western Port, Yarra and Maribyrnong Rivers and a variety of Metropolitan Parks.

Parks Victoria recognises the value that the film and photography industries bring to the state and local communities and encourage you to showcase them in the best possible way.

The following information outlines the application process and provides guidelines which must be considered when filming and photography takes place on Parks Victoria parks, reserves and waterways.  

Who should submit a Filming and Photography permit application?

  • All student productions are required to submit an application form.
  • Low impact and / or small-scale activities if conducted as a trade or business.
  • Wedding and portrait photographers not already covered by an event permit.
  • All drone filming and photography. Drone filming and photography including RPA use, you must be or engage a fully licensed pilot and CASA-certified operator including drones under 2kg weight.

Who doesn't need a permit? (drone use excluded)

  • Amateur or hobby photographers with basic equipment, who are not making images commercially available.
  • People taking film or video for personal use.

Filming activities not permitted

  • Portray activities that are not permitted or appropriate in parks or reserves.
  • Operating remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) / unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)/ drones for recreational purposes is prohibited on Parks Victoria managed land.
  • Activities that substantially limit the experiences and enjoyment of park or reserve visitors and tenants, or the rights of the park or reserve neighbours.
  • Access to administrative areas, closed for resource protection or safety reasons.


An administration fee is applicable. A fee schedule can be found on page 5 of the application form or in the fees and charges schedule.

Application forms


Filming and photography permit application (MSWord)

Werribee Park

Werribee Park - Wedding filming and photography application (MSWord)

Dandenong Ranges (wedding photography only)

Email or ring our friendly staff for further information on (03) 8427 2087.

Multiple dates and parks can be nominated in one application. Completed filming and photography application forms are to be submitted via

Filming and photography applications received by Parks Victoria have the below minimum timeframes from receipt of all required documentation to ensure that we appropriately manage all applications received and that we progress the associated approvals in line with legislative and regulatory requirements.

  • Parks Victoria will provide a response to applicants identifying whether the application is endorsed to proceed within 5 business days of receipt of a permit application.

Where the application is endorsed:

  • Executed permit to be provided within 10 business days of receipt of a permit application for standard filming and photography applications.
  • Executed permit to be provided within 20 business days of receipt a permit application which includes use of a drone or unmanned aerial vehicle.

Timelines for complex or major filming and photography projects will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Upon receipt of your application, an Activation Agreements officer will contact you regarding your request. Please note:  Submitting an application does not guarantee approval.

See the film friendly guidelines. For more information from Parks Victoria call the Information Centre on 13 1963.

Extreme weather clause

In the event of extreme weather conditions, a planned event may be cancelled by Parks Victoria in the interest of public safety.

Required documents to be submitted with the application

  • Short description of the nature of your project including but not limited to - scene pages, script, mood boards, etc.
  • A sitemap identifying specific location(s) within the park or reserve managed by parks Victoria where you propose to hold your activity and any unit base setups, (hand drawn/incomplete maps will not be considered).
  • A Certificate of Currency (CoC) with a minimum of $20m public liability insurance coverage is to be supplied noting Parks Victoria as an interested party.
  • Safety Plan/Risk Assessment Plan.
  • Running sheet.


If the use of drones is proposed, the following information must also be submitted:

  • Aircraft Operations Plan including:
    • Take off and land zone.
    • Proposed flight path.
    • Proposed exclusion zone.
    • Proposed location of spotters.
  • Factsheets of all proposed aircraft.
  • Remotely Piloted Aircraft License for all proposed pilots.
  • Operator’s certificate.
  • Operator’s certificate of currency of public liability insurance.
  • Job Safety Analysis (JSA).
  • CASA area approval (if required).

By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.