Parks Victoria offer a number of educational tools and resources to enhance outdoor classroom experiences.
Bush Kinder Handbook
The great outdoors offers ideal spaces to climb, run and explore, allowing children to develop self-awareness, motor skills and emotional intelligence. Together, Parks Victoria and early childhood learning providers can create life-long connections between children, nature and parks. Download our Bush Kinder Handbook (PDF) to find out how to take your early learning outdoors.
Student Ranger lesson plans
Cool Australia hosts six curriculum-aligned activities for students in years four to six. These activities include:
- Student Rangers: Beachcombing
- Student Rangers: Bush Supermarket
- Student Rangers: Flora Explorer
- Student Rangers: Minibeast Discovery
- Student Rangers: Rockpool Ramble
- Student Rangers: Wildlife Detectives
Please note that you will be asked to sign up as an educator to access these resources.
Park Excursion Guides
Parks Victoria have developed excursion guides for a number of parks, designed to provide teachers with content and ideas for planning exciting and experiential excursions outdoors.
- Brisbane Ranges National Park Excursion Guide (MSWord)
- Brisbane Ranges National Park Excursion Guide (PDF)
Devilbend Natural Features Reserve
- Devilbend Natural Features Reserve Excursion Guide (MSWord)
- Devilbend Natural Features Reserve Excursion Guide (PDF)
- Mornington Peninsula National Park Excursion Guide (MSWord)
- Mornington Peninsula National Park Excursion Guide (PDF)
Download a Parks Victoria’s ClimateWatch Trail and help gather important knowledge about the effects of climate change on Victoria's parks:
- Bellarine Peninsula (Ocean Grove Nature Reserve)
- Brisbane Ranges (Anakie Gorge)
- Grampians National Park
- Organ Pipes National Park
- Serendip Sanctuary
- Wilsons Promontory National Park
- Yarra Bend Park
Explore Parks with YouTube and SoundCloud
The Parks Victoria YouTube channel hosts a number of educational videos, providing insight into what makes parks special and an opportunity for students to see parks they may not be able to reach.
Parks Victoria’s Education SoundCloud channel hosts podcasts showcasing some amazing stories from the field. Visit the Victorian National Parks Association website to access a four-part Little Desert podcast series, which revisits the 1969 political dispute that put nature conservation and community consultation on the party-political agenda in Victoria.
Other learning resources
Apps and data tools
- Use the Serendip App as a virtual tour while walking the paths of the Serendip Sanctuary.
- Download the Bunurong National Park Field Guide from the App Store.
- Explore and record fungi sightings with fungimap.
- Use iNaturalist in the field to record what you find and contribute to science.
- Download curriculum aligned education kits for a range of secondary and VCE subjects from the Australian Alps National Parks education portal.
- Find out more about the types of ecosystems that Parks Victoria care for.
- Read more about how Parks Victoria and Traditional Owners work to manage Country together.
- Access the self-guided audio tour for Fort Nepean before conducting a field trip.
- Parks Victoria management plans, management statements, future directions plans, master plans and strategies.