Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - LSV VSRL Senior Surf Boat Carnival
Date/time of event:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 6 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 1 to 6 in the above list for the duration of the event.
- Masters of PWC rescue vessels are only exempt from items 7 & 9 for the duration of the events when retrieving or rescuing a person without a PFD from the water.
- Masters of IRB and PWC rescue vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event.
- Surf boat competitors are only exempt from 7 to 9 above for the duration of each event, provided the Surf Hazard Rating (SHR) is of a value no greater than 12. If the SHR is 13 or higher, the exemptions will apply subject to the following conditions:
- Competitors must wear helmets;
- There must be two IRBs operating to follow the surf boats the entire length of the course;
- Each IRB must be equipped with rescue tubes;
- There must be officials on the shore to monitor the event and communicate with the IRBs via radio; and
- LSV must carry out a SHR assessment for each event.
- Operators and occupants of vessels propelled by paddle or oar are exempt from PFD wearing requirements and the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
- Masters of mechanically powered LSV vessels up to and including 4.8 metres in length (other than personal watercraft) are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event enter the exclusion zone, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area.
- The above exemptions are active for Saturday 27 November 2021 from 8.00am to 3.00pm, to operators of vessels associated with the LSV VSRL Senior Surfboat Carnival within the exclusion zone waters.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria