DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Hawthorn Rowing Club, persons and vessels involved in the Victorian 8s Challenge are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) - must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) - must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) - must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters' edge
4. Clause 3(b) - must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 - 5 knot speed restriction zone on the Yarra River
6. Clause 3.4(a) of Schedule 3 - vessels berthing at the boathouses upstream of the Princes Bridge must approach from the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern arch of the Princes Bridge
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 6 when competing in the events
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Occupants of rescue and official vessels involved in the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times.
- The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
- The exemptions apply from 8:00am to 3:30pm on Saturday 27 November 2021 within the exclusion zone waters between the VRA landing and upstream edge of Victoria Street Bridge.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic)
Section 208 (2)
NOTICE OF ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne, hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Victorian 8’s Challenge are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of the Yarra River between a straight line across from the upstream edge of the VRA landing to Birrarung Marr and the upstream edge of Victoria Street Bridge.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 8:00 am to 3:30pm on Saturday 27 November 2021.