DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Dragon Boat Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Melbourne Regatta 2021 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a fixed or floating structure
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Yarra River
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
· Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 5 when competing in the events.
· All participants involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
· The exemptions apply from 10:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday 4 December 2021 and 9:00am till 4:00pm on Sunday 5 December 2021 on the waters of the Yarra River between Spencer St Bridge and Seafarers Bridge.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
· Flag system marshals will be stationed at either end of the course to ensure the event is conducted safely alongside other river users and allow safe passage of non-competing vessels through the course as per the Parks Victoria Flag System Operation Procedure. Flag system marshals will maintain a listening watch on VHF Channel 74 at all times whilst the Regatta is in progress.
By order of Parks Victoria