DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the 2022 Victorian Police and Emergency Services Games (Open Water Swim) on Tuesday 22 March 2022 between the hours of 7:30 am to 10:30 am are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.1.7(a) of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction area at Sandridge.
5. Clause 1.1.9(a) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at Sandridge.
6. Clause 1.2.12 (b) of Schedule 1 – master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-4 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and 5 for the duration of the event.
• Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
• Masters of personal watercraft (Jet Skis) rescue vessels are only exempt from item 6 for the duration of the event.
• The above exemptions apply from 7:30 am to 10:30 am on Tuesday 22 March 2022 to persons and vessels participating in the 2022 Victoria Police and Emergency Services Games (Open Water Swim) at Sandridge Beach.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.