Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption- The Strathy Regatta
The Strathy Regatta
Date/time of event:
16th October 2022
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Strathcona Girls Grammar, persons and vessels involved in the 2022 Strathcona Rowing Regatta “The Strathy Regatta” are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
3. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
4. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of event official and rescue vessels are only exempt from 1 to 4 above when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
· Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 1 to 4 above when competing in the events.
· Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
· The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of Exemption Notice 1 made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
· The exemptions apply from 8:30am to 2:30pm on Sunday 16 October 2022 within the event waters of the Maribyrnong River between Holmes Road and Maribyrnong Road.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
By order of Parks Victoria