DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Patterson River, upstream of the Nepean
Highway Bridge to Eumemmering Creek including the National Water Sports Centre, makes the
following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Southern Waters Ski Show Team, persons and
vessels involved in the 2022-23 Southern Waters Ski Show Team events in Table 1 are exempt
from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
5. Clause 19(b) – master of a vessel must not tow more than 3 persons
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
6. Regulation 96(6) – master must ensure their vessel is equipped with personal floatation
device (PFD) for each person onboard.
7. Regulation 100(3) – person must wear a PFD (of type specified) at all times when vessel is
underway on inland waters (i.e. vessel 4.8 metres or less in length).
8. Regulation 103 – person being towed must wear a PFD at all times.
9. Regulation 104(1) – master must ensure all occupants of vessel are wearing a PFD (of type
10. Regulation 104(2) – master of a vessel must not tow a person unless the person is wearing a
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1-4 when undertaking a rescue operation
to retrieve persons in distress, provide for the initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a
place of safety, provided they operate at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within 10 metres of the
• Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 3-4 for the duration of the events,
and item 3 provided they operate at a speed not exceeding 5 knots within 10 metres of the
• Masters of participating vessels are only exempt from items 5, 6, 9 & 10 when towing water
skiers who are participating in trick events and when retrieving water skiers who are participating
in trick events and exempt from wearing a personal flotation device.
• Persons being towed are only exempt from items 7 & 8 when participating in the following trick
o Three tier pyramid on the second or third tier;
o Rope held by toe manoeuvres;
o Swivel acts; and
o Doubles couples acts.
• The exemptions apply to the times, dates and events as specified in Table 1 below, to the
persons and vessels registered to participate in the Southern Waters Ski Show Team events on
the waters of the Patterson River – National Water Sports Centre.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.