Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption - IRONMAN 70.3
Date/time of event:
13th November 2022 6:30am - 9:00am
St Kilda Beach
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Ironman Australia, persons and vessels involved in the Ironman 70.3 Melbourne are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
6. Clause 1.1.9 (d) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at St Kilda beach.
7. Clause 1.1.12 (a) of Schedule 1 - master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft: for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety, and item 6 for the duration of the event.
· Masters of personal watercraft rescue vessels are only exempt from item 7 for the duration of the event.
· Masters and crew of rescue vessels (including personal watercraft) involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
· The exemptions apply from 6:30am to 9:00am on Sunday 13 November 2022 within the waters of St Kilda Beach.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria