Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
Declaration of Boating Activity Exemption & Notice of Boating Activity Exclusion Zone - 2022 Melbourne Head Regatta
Rowing Victoria's 2022 Melbourne Head Regatta
Date/time of event:
Saturday 26th November 2022
Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port
waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the
Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Rowing Victoria, persons and vessels
involved in the 2022 Melbourne Head Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres
4. Clause 3(b) must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 5 knot speed restriction on the Yarra River.
6. Clause 3.4(a) of Schedule 3 Vessels proposing to berth at the boathouses must
approach the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern
arch of the Princes Bridge.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from 2 to 6 in the above list when competing in the event.
· Masters of rescue and official vessels are only exempt from 1 in the above list while undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety and must adhere to speed and distance rules at all other times.
· Occupants of rescue and official vessels involved in the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times.
· The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
· The exemptions apply from 4.30 am to 5.00 pm on Saturday 26 November 2022 within the exclusion zone waters on the Yarra River between a straight line between the Monash Freeway Bridge to a straight line between the upstream edge of Federation Wharf to Mercantile Rowing Shed.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in Rowing Victoria’s 2022 Melbourne Head Regatta are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of the Yarra River – between the Monash Freeway Bridge to a straight line between the upstream edge of Federation Wharf to Mercantile Rowing Shed.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Saturday 26 November 2022.
By order of Parks Victoria