DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by The Royal Geelong Yacht Club, persons and vessels involved in the Festival of Sails 2023 exhibition sailing events are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
Item 1 Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
Item 2 Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
Item 3 Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Item 4 Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
Item 5 Clause 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction within 200 metres of the water’s edge of south-west Port Phillip
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 5 when competing in the events, and item 2 applies only when within 50 metres of another competitor or competing vessel.
• All participants involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
• The exemptions apply from:
Thursday 26 January 2023 -10:00am-6:00pm
Friday 27 January 2023 –10:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday 28 January 2023 – 10:00am-6:00pm
Sunday 29 January 2023– 10:00am- 6:00pm