DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Half Moon Bay Surf Life Saving Club, persons and vessels involved in the 2023 Cerberus Swim Classic are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 – Five (5) knot speed restriction zone within North East Port Phillip - within 200 metres of the water’s edge
6. Clause 1.2.9 (j) of Schedule 1 - area prohibited to vessels at Half Moon Bay Beach
7. Clause 1.1.12 (a) of Schedule 1 – the master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zone
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore and item 6 for the duration of the event.
• Masters of personal watercraft (Jet Ski) rescue vessels are only exempt from item 7 (irregular riding rule) for the duration of the event and must not exceed 5 knots when operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones, unless undertaking a rescue operation.
• All occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• The exemptions apply from 7:00am and 1:00pm on Saturday 4 March 2023 to the persons and vessels participating in the Cerberus Swim Classic.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria