DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Patterson River, upstream of the Nepean Highway Bridge to Eumemmering Creek including the National Water Sports Centre (NWSC) makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Dragon Boat Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Victorian Dragon Boat Championships 2023 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
• Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 3 when competing in the events.
• The masters of all participating vessels are only exempt from item 3 provided they do not exceed 5 knots within 10 metres of the water’s edge.
• All participants involved in the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
• The exemptions apply from 09:00am to 2:30pm on 11th & 12th March 2023 on the waters of Patterson River, National Water Sports Centre.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.