DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by the Essendon Rowing Club, persons and vessels involved in the 2023 Saltwater Challenge Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
3. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed limit restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 4 in the above list when competing in the event.
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety, and must adhere to speed and distance rules at all other times.
• Occupants of mechanically powered vessels involved with the event must wear a lifejacket at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment, including rescue vessels.
• The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
• The exemptions apply from 6:00am to 5:30pm on Saturday 2 September 2023 (contingency date if event not held or cancelled: Saturday 9 September 2023) within the competition area on the Maribyrnong River – between Canning St Bridge and the Essendon Rowing Club.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.