DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following
declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Ironman Australia, persons and vessels involved
in the GWM Ironman 70.3 Melbourne, St Kilda are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving
platform or boat ramp
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction area North East Port Phillip
6. Clause 1.1.9 (d) of Schedule 1 – area prohibited to vessels at St Kilda beach.
7. Clause 1.1.12 (a) of Schedule 1 - master of a personal watercraft must not operate the
personal watercraft: for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to,
or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring),
whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue
operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and
deliver them to a place of safety, and item 6 for the duration of the event.
• Masters of personal watercraft rescue vessels are only exempt from item 7 for the duration
of the event.
• Masters and crew of rescue vessels (including personal watercraft) involved with the event
must wear a lifejacket at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed
• The exemptions apply from 6:05am to 9:00am on Sunday 12 November 2023 within the
waters of St Kilda Beach.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.