DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port waters of
the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety
Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Rowing Victoria, persons and vessels involved in
the 2023 Melbourne Head Rowing Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Yarra River.
6. Clause 3.4(a) of Schedule 3 – Vessels proposing to berth at the boathouses must approach
the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern arch of the Princes
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 2 to 6 when competing in the
• Masters of rescue and official vessels are only exempt from item 1 when undertaking a
rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other
needs and deliver them to a place of safety and must adhere to speed and distance rules at
all other times.
• Occupants of rescue and official vessels involved in the event must wear a lifejacket at all
• The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria
Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption Notice
made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to
not carry or wear a lifejacket.
• The exemptions apply from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Saturday 18 November 2023 within the
exclusion zone waters on the Yarra River - between the Monash Freeway Bridge to a
straight line between the upstream edge of Federation Wharf to Mercantile Rowing Shed.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.