DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the
following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by the Mornington Life Saving Club, persons and
vessels involved in the Mornington Twilight Swim are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.2.9 (l) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels at Mornington
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
• Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 3 when undertaking a rescue
operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and
deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 4 for the duration of the event.
• Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a lifejacket at all times
during the event.
• The exemptions apply from 5:30pm to 8:30pm on Friday 19 January 2024 (back-up Saturday
20 January 2024) to the persons and vessels participating in the Mornington Twilight Swim
within the waters adjacent to Mornington Life Saving Club, Port Phillip Bay.
• The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the
application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
By order of Parks Victoria