Parks Victoria publishes public notices where relevant, including information regarding leases and boating and waterway activity exemptions.
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION AND SET ASIDE DETERMINATION
Victorian Open Water and Victorian Master’s Open Water Championships
Date/time of event:
7.00am to 1.00pm on Saturday 9 December 2023 (back-up date Sunday 10 December 2023)
Port Phillip Bay - Waters of Corio Bay, between the Royal Geelong Yacht Club and Limeburners Point
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Swimming Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Victorian Open Water and Victorian Master’s Open Water Championships are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
4. Clause 4(b) - must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform or boat ramp
5. Clause 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction in South West Port Phillip
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
· Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
· All participants on rescue and official vessels used in conjunction with the event must wear a lifejacket at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
· The above exemptions apply from 7.00am to 1.00pm on Saturday 9 December 2023 (back-up date Sunday 10 December 2023) within the event set aside waters of Corio Bay, between the Royal Geelong Yacht Club and Limeburners Point, as marked by buoys.
· The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Port Management Act 1995 (Vic.)
Port Management (Local Ports) Regulations 2015
Set Aside Determination – Regulation 11(1)
Local Port of Port Phillip
I, Stuart Wardrop, Acting District Manager of Parks Victoria (as delegate of the Port Manager), determine under Regulation 11(1) of the Port Management (Local Ports) Regulations 2015 that the areas defined in the following table are set aside for the purposes and conditions specified.
This determination has been made in accordance with Regulation 11(2)
(b) if the port manager reasonably believes that there is imminent risk of—
(i) harm or damage to—
(A) the health or safety of any person; or
(ii) significant interference with the safe, efficient and effective management of the local port.
In accordance with Regulation 11(4), this determination replaces any previous set aside determination made by the port manager in respect of that area or any part there of that area for the period specified in this temporary determination.
This determination applies 7.00am to 1.00pm on Saturday 9 December 2023 (back-up date Sunday 10 December 2023)
Signed at Melbourne
by Stuart Wardrop
Acting District Manager
Reasonable conditions (Regulation 14)
Determination to set aside an area in a local port in which access to that area is prohibited or restricted for not more than 90 days.
To set aside an area for the safety of participants and vessels involved in the Victorian Open Water & Victorian Master’s Open Water Championships
That area of Corio Bay, between the Royal Geelong Yacht Club and Limeburners Point, as marked by buoys at the below approximate locations and indicated by the attached map, between 7.00am to 1.00pm on Saturday 9 December 2023 (back-up date Sunday 10 December 2023)
o 38°8.761’S, 144°22.326’E
o 38°8.556’S, 144°22.837’E
o 38°8.364’S, 144°22.832’E
o 38°8.548’S, 144°22.245’E
Mariners are prohibited from entering the competition area during the Set Aside period and are asked to follow the direction of event marshals and safety personnel.