Declaration of boating activity exemption - 2021 Aquathon Event
PORT OF PORT PHILLIP – EASTERN BEACH, GEELONG
2021 VICTORIA POLICE & EMERGENCY SERVICES GAMES AQUATHON EVENT
19 MARCH 2021
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the 2021 Victorian Police and Emergency Services Aquathon event are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.4.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction within 200m of the waters edge for South West Port Phillip
5. Clause 1.4.12(c)(ii) of Schedule 1 – must not operate a personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1-4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore for the duration of the event.
- Masters of rescue personal watercraft are only exempt from item 5 for the duration of the event.
- Rescue personnel on powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- The exemptions apply from 7:00am to 11:00am on Friday 19 March 2021 within the waters of the event area at Eastern Beach, Geelong.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.