Declaration of boating activity exemption - 2021 Henley on the Maribyrnong Regatta
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherd Bridge on Footscray Road, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Essendon Rowing Club, persons and vessels involved the Henley on the Maribyrnong Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel.
2. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge.<
3. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on waters of the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepard Bridge.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of participating support and rescue vessels must adhere to speed and distance rules unless otherwise undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety.
- Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- This event is operating under the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of Exemption Notice 1. Therefore, rowers participating in the event will not be required to wear lifejacket and their vessels will not be required to carry lifejackets.
- The exemptions apply from 6.00am to 4.00pm on Sunday 21 March 2021 within the competition waters – Maribyrnong River upstream of the Raleigh Road Bridge for a length of 1 kilometre, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Dated: 17 March 2021