Declaration of boating activity exemption - 2021 Life Saving Victoria IRB Carnival events
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria (LSV), persons and vessels involved in the LSV IRB Carnival events are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 meters of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 1.1.9(b) & 1.2.9(b) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels at South Melbourne & Mordialloc
2. Clause 1.1.7 & 1.2.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction of North East Port Phillip & East Port Phillip
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Competitors are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when competing in the events.
- All participants involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event come within 50 metres of the Set Aside area, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside of the area.
- Mechanically powered LSV vessels are exempt from the carriage of specified safety equipment as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1, whilst operating within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility.
- The above exemptions apply for the times, dates and locations as detailed in Table 1 below.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
|9 May 2021||Sunday||LSV IRB Carnival||Mordialloc LSC||6.00am - 5.00pm|
|6 June 2021||Sunday||LSV IRB Carnival||South Melbourne LSC||(Mordialloc LSC)||6.00am - 5.00pm|