Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - Australian Henley Regatta - 22 February 2020
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of port waters of the Port of Melbourne, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Rowing Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the Australian Henley Regatta are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 3(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of the waters’ edge;
4. Clause 3(b) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction zone on the Yarra River upstream of port waters;
6. Clause 3.4(a) of Schedule 3 – vessels proposing to berth at boathouses on the south bank of the Yarra River and located immediately upstream of the Princes Bridge must approach the berthing area from downstream and after passing through the southern arch of the Princes Bridge.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 2 to 6 for the duration of the event, and item 2 only when within 50 metres of a vessel involved in the event.
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 provided they do not exceed the speed of a competing rowing vessel unless undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- The event is operating under the auspices of Rowing Victoria, including the Rowing Victoria Safety Management Plan, which meets the criteria of Clause 3 of the Exemption notice made under the Marine Regulations 1999 in respect of the exemption for rowing vessels to not carry or wear a personal flotation device.
- Occupants of powered vessels used in conjunction with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event enter the competition exclusion zone, the event must be stopped until the unauthorised vessel or person has moved outside of the zone.
- The above exemptions apply from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Saturday 22 February 2020 to the persons and vessels participating in the Australian Henley Regatta, within the exclusion zone waters on the Yarra River from the rowing pavilion number 5 Boathouse Drive to the upstream end of Federation Wharf extending to Church Street Bridge, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 20th February 2020
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of port water of the Port of Melbourne hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Australian Henley Regatta are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Waters of Yarra River – from the rowing pavilion number 5 Boathouse Drive to the upstream end of Federation Wharf extending to Church Street Bridge.
The exclusion zone will be in effect from 7:30am to 5:00pm on Saturday 22 February 2020.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 20th of February 2020