Declaration of boating activity exemption - Bathing Box Classic Swim - 9 February 2020
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Brighton Life Saving Club, persons and vessels involved in the Bathing Box Classic Swim are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel;
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.1.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction within 200 metres of the water’sedge – North East Port Phillip Bay
5. Clause 1.1.9(f) of Schedule 1 – Areas of Port Phillip Bay prohibited to vessels –Brighton Beach.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-4 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and 5 for the duration of the event.
- Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- The exemptions apply from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm on Sunday 9th February 2020 provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.