Declaration of boating activity exemption - Festival of Sails Ski Show - 25-27 January 2020
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Stars Down Under Water Ski and Stunt Show Inc., persons and vessels involved in the Festival of Sails Ski Show are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – Must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge;
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty, slipway, diving platform, or boat ramp except in an access lane.
5. Clause 19(b) – The master of a vessel must not cause or allow the vessel to be operated on any state waters when towing more than 3 persons;
6. Clause 19(c) – restriction on towing a person between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
7. Regulation 103 – A person who is being towed by a vessel must, at all times, wear a personal flotation device;
8. Regulation 104 – A person not to operate a recreational vessel unless each person wears a PFD.
9. Regulation 96(4) - A person must not be the master of a vessel on enclosed waters unless the vessel is equipped with the items of equipment listed for that vessel. (lifejacket for all persons on board.)
10. Regulation 100(2) – A person who is an open area of a recreational vessel up to and including 4.8 metres in length must wear a PFD at all times the vessel is underway.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
The master of the rescue vessel is only exempt from 1-4 in the above list when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for the initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
The master of the rescue vessel is only exempt from item 8-9 in the above list in the event of retrieving a fallen skier who is exempt from wearing a PFD.
The master of the tow vessel is only exempt from 2-6 in the above list during event times.
The master of the tow vessel and participating skiers are only exempt from 7-8 in the above list when towing water skiers who are involved in, or participating in:
- A 3-person high pyramid on the second or third tier;
- Rope held by the toe manoeuvres;
- Swivel acts; and
- Double couple acts.
All occupants of the tow vessel and rescue vessel must wear a PFD at all times during the event.
Participants who are exempt from wearing a PFD are only exempt from 10 in the above list if they are retrieved from the water by the rescue vessel.
These exemptions apply for the dates and times detailed in Table 1 below, to the persons and vessels listed within the event application who are participating in the Festival of Sails Ski Show events on the waters set aside on Corio Bay between the Geelong Pier and the Geelong Yacht Club, provided the stated safety controls and undertaking detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Saturday 25 January 2020
11.30 am to 12.30 pm, 3.15 pm to 4.15 pm, 7.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
Sunday 26th January 2020
11.30 am to 12.30 pm, 2.00 pm to 3.00 pm, 5.15 pm to 5.45 pm, 6.30 pm to 7.30 pm.
9.00 pm to 9.30 pm
Monday 27th January 2020
11.00 am to 12.00 pm, 2.30 pm to 3.30 pm.