Declaration of boating activity exemption - LSV Winter Surf Series Mornington Beach
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Life Saving Victoria, persons and vessels involved in the LSV Winter Surf Series event at Mornington Beach are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 meters of the water’s edge
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.2.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction in East Port Phillip
5. Clause 1.2.9 (l) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels at Mornington
6. Clause 1.2.12 (b) of Schedule 1 – The master of a personal watercraft must not operate the personal watercraft for any purpose other than transiting in the safest most direct course to, or from the shore and/or a boat ramp or berthing facility (including a jetty, pier or mooring), whilst operating within designated 5 knot speed restriction zones.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from item 5 for the duration of the event and items 1 to 4 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Masters of competing vessels are only exempt from items 2 to 5 when competing in the events
- Masters of personal watercraft rescue vessels are only exempt from item 6 for the duration of the event.
- Masters of rescue vessels and personal watercraft (Jet Ski’s) involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- Operators and occupants of vessels propelled by paddle or oar are exempt from PFD wearing requirements and the carriage of specified safety equipment whilst within visual range of a staffed lifesaving facility or flagged area, as per the Exemptions for Life Saving Victoria vessels in Exemption Notice 1.
- Should vessels or persons not involved in the event enter the exclusion zone, the exemptions will be automatically suspended until the vessel or person has moved outside the area.
- The exemptions apply from 6:00am to 5:00pm on 21 August 2021 within the exclusion zone waters – adjacent to Mornington Life Saving Club as marked by flags on shore and buoys on water.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.to.