Declaration of boating activity exemption - Port to Park Open Water Swim and SUP
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip (Hobsons
Bay), makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by South Melbourne Surf Life Saving Club
Inc, persons and vessels involved in the Port to Park Open Water Swim & SUP are exempt
from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 4(a) – 5 knots within 200 metres of the water’s edge;
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
4. Clause 1.1.9 (b) of Schedule 1 – Areas of Port Phillip Bay prohibited to vessels.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from 1-3 in the above list when
undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial
medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and 4 for the
duration of the event.
- Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation
device at all times during the event.
- The exemptions apply from 9.00 am to 1.00 pm on Sunday 2 February 2020 to the
persons and vessels participating in the Port to Park Open Water Swim & SUP,
provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form
and associated documentation are adhered to.