Declaration of boating activity exemption - Williamstown Open Water Challenge
PORT PHILLIP BAY
28 FEBRUARY 2021
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Local Port of Port Phillip, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Williamstown Swimming & Lifesaving Club, persons and vessels involved in the Williamstown Open Water Challenge on the waters off Williamstown Beach are exempt from the following requirements
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a person in the water;
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of another vessel;
3. Clause 4(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 200 metres of the waters’ edge;
4. Clause 4(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 metres of a wharf, jetty slipway, diving platform or boat ramp except in an access lane.
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 1.5.7 of Schedule 1 – 5 knot speed restriction zone within 200 metres of the waters’ edge at Williamstown Beach;
6. Clause 1.5.9(b) of Schedule 1 – areas prohibited to vessels off Williamstown Beach.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 5 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore, and item 6 for the duration of the event.
- All occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal flotation device at all times during the event.
- The above exemptions apply between 8:00am and 1:30pm on 28thFebruary 2021 (back-up date 7 March 2021), to the persons and vessels participating in the Williamstown Open Water Challenge, provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
BY ORDER OF PARKS VICTORIA
Dated: 26 February 2021