Declaration of boating activity exemption and exclusion zone - Winter Sculling Series 2021
DECLARATION OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXEMPTION
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne, the Maribyrnong River upstream of Shepherds Bridge on Footscray Road and Albert Park Lake, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Victorian Sculling Association, persons and vessels involved in the Winter Sculling Series 2021 are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 2(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a person in the water
2. Clause 2(c) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of another vessel
3. Clause 3(a) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of the water’s edge
4. Clause 3(b) – must not exceed 5 knots within 50 meters of a fixed or floating structure
Waterway Rules made under the Marine Safety Act 2010 / Marine Act 1988
5. Clause 3.1 of Schedule 3 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Yarra River
6. Clause 4.1 of Schedule 4 – 5 knot speed restriction on the Maribyrnong River
7. Clause 151.1 of Schedule 151 – 5 knot speed restriction for vessels with engines
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
8. Regulation 96(6) – requirement to carry a personal floatation device (PFD) for each person onboard on inland waters
9. Regulation 100(3) – person must wear a PFD of type specified at all times when underway on inland waters
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Masters of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 to 7 when undertaking a rescue operation to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Competitors are only exempt from items 2 to 9 when competing in the events
- Occupants of powered vessels involved with the event must wear a personal floatation device at all times during the event and vessels must have all prescribed safety equipment.
- The exemptions apply from 7:30am to 11:00am on the dates and locations specified in Table 1.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
- Certain Victorian Sculling Association powered vessels have been approved by Parks Victoria to operate on the waters of Albert Park Lake as per Clause 151.2(a) of Schedule 151 of the Notice under the Marine Act 1988.
|Albert Park Grand Prix||Sat 5 June||Albert Park Lake (exclusion zone)
|The ‘John Whiting” Round the Island race
||Sat 12 June
||Yarra River (exclusion zone)|
|Handicap Series Round 1
||Sat 19 June
|Handicap Series Round 2
||Sat 26 June
|Handicap Series Round 3
||Sat 3 July||Yarra River|
|Handicap Series Round 4
||Sat 10 July||Yarra River|
|Handicap Series Round 5
||Sat 17 July||Yarra River|
|Handicap Series Round 6
||Sat 24 July||Yarra River|
|Head of the Maribyrnong
||Sat 31 July||Maribyrnong River|
|Scullers’ Head of the Yarra
||Sat 14 August||Yarra River (exclusion zone)|
Marine Safety Act 2010
NOTICE OF BOATING ACTIVITY EXCLUSION ZONE
Parks Victoria as the declared waterway manager for the Yarra River upstream of the port waters of the Port of Melbourne and Albert Park Lake hereby gives notice under section 208(2) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic) that all persons and vessels not registered to take part in the Victorian Sculling Association Winter Sculling Series 2021 are prohibited from entering and remaining in the following waters.
Saturday 5th June 2021: Waters of Albert Park Lake – South and West of Gunn Island
Saturday 12th June 2021: Waters of the Yarra River between a diagonal line from the downstream edge of the VRA Landing to the upstream edge of Federation Wharf and Herring Island
Saturday 14th August 2021: Waters of the Yarra River between a diagonal line from the downstream edge of the VRA Landing to the upstream edge of federation Wharf and the upstream edge of Hawthorn Bridge
The exclusion zones will be in effect from 7:30am to 11:00am for each date and location