Parks Victoria supports universities, other research institutions and individuals to do research in parks, reserves, ports, waterways and on piers. We encourage research identified by us as important in published strategies and plans and support research projects if they add to scientific knowledge and:

  • help conserve and protect natural and cultural features and processes of parks
  • directly benefit park planning and management, and/ or
  • cannot be undertaken outside a park.


Before applying for a Parks Victoria Research Permit on ParkConnect, you will need to ensure you have completed the correct permit(s) as outline below.


What Research Permits do I need?

A Parks Victoria Research Permit is required for all research conducted on Parks Victoria managed estate. Firstly, you must complete an Application for a Scientific Permit to Conduct Research in Areas Managed Under The National Parks Act 1975 Form through the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP).


Many research activities require additional permits that must be obtained from the responsible authority before applying for a Parks Victoria research permit. 


What additional permits may I need?

Use this table to identify any additional permits you need before applying for a Parks Victoria Permit.

 If you are... Permit issued under... Contact...

 researching in a State Forest


 Forests Act 1958  DELWP

 researching in Reference Areas

 Note: These are areas of high conservation value with restricted access. Only projects of minimal impact on biodiversity are considered. Allow extra time for the Reference Areas Advisory Council approval.


 Reference Areas Act 1978  DELWP
  • removing an object for research
  • uncovering Aboriginal cultural heritage
  • researching an Aboriginal place or object
  • likely to harm Aboriginal cultural heritage
  • rehabilitating land at an Aboriginal place, including burial grounds


 Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006 Aboriginal Victoria
  • growing, breeding or selling fish or bait commercially
  • obtaining prohibited/ out of season fish
  • carrying out an activity in a fishery
  • taking fish for any reason


 Fisheries Act 1995 Victorian Fisheries Authority
  • taking protected flora specimens, samples, seed or propagation material
  • researching in protected communities, and/or
  • capturing, handling, releasing, marking or displaying of any fish, or invertebrates listed under the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988


Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act 1988  DELWP

 researching any of the following:

  • historic archaeological sites and artefacts
  • historic buildings, structures and precincts
  • gardens, trees and cemeteries
  • cultural landscapes
  • shipwrecks and relics
  • significant objects


 Heritage Act 1995  DELWP

capturing, collecting or interfering with wildlife including:

  • fauna surveys or live capture and release
  • bird/bat banding (ABBBS), marking, radio tracking
  • tissue samples or dead specimens

    Note: Invasive procedures with wildlife require Animal Ethics Approval from the institution managing the research. Bird or bat banding requires approval from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme.

    Important: Include Action Statements and Translocation Plans, consistent with Threatened Species concerns, in your application.


    Wildlife Act 1975


    Completing your Parks Victoria application

    When you have the correct permit(s) as listed in the table, apply for your Parks Victoria permit with your collected documentation and permit(s).

    All research permits managed by Parks Victoria have standard conditions. If any of these conditions are problematic for your research then indicate how and why in the risk assessment questionnaire. Parks Victoria will review and negotiate your requirements with you.

    Apply through ParkConnect at


    By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.