Filming and Photography Permit application guidelines

Parks Victoria recognises the value that the film and photography industries bring to the state and local communities.

The following information outlines the application process and provides guidelines which must be considered when undertaking filming and photography on Parks Victoria managed land and water.  


Which filming and photography activities require a permit?

  • All filming and photography activities conducted as a trade or business.
  • Commercial wedding and portrait photographers not already covered by a wedding event permit.
  • All drone filming and photography. For any drone filming and photography including RPA/UAV use, you must be or engage a fully licensed pilot and CASA-certified operator (including for drones under 2kg weight).
  • Some student productions.

Who doesn't need a permit?

  • Amateur or hobby photographers with basic equipment, who are not making images commercially available (if you think the images might be used commercially in the future, please apply for a permit).
  • People taking film or video for personal use.

Prohibited filming activities

  • Any filming which portrays activities which are prohibited in parks or reserves.
  • Operating remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) / unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) / drone, unless explicitly permitted by Parks Victoria in a filming and photography permit.
  • Activities that substantially limit the experiences, enjoyment or rights of park, reserve or waterway visitors, tenants, or neighbours.
  • Access to administrative areas and areas closed for the protection of resources or public safety.

Permit lead times 

  • Parks Victoria requires a minimum of 10 business days (no drone) and 20 business days (with drone) to process a filming and photography permit application from when all required documentation is received. Due to the high volume of applications, filming permit applications received within this timeframe will not be accepted.
  • Applicants are encouraged to add weather hold dates to the permit application form.

Extreme weather clause

In the event of extreme weather conditions, a planned event may be cancelled by Parks Victoria in the interest of public safety.


Wedding and Point Nepean filming and photography

There is a different permit application process for wedding photography or wedding filming. Visit our Weddings page for more information.

How to submit a commercial filming or photography permit application

1. Complete the Filming and photography (including RPA-Drone) online permit application form.

2. Gather the supporting documents and attach to your application (detail in the application form).

3. Submit your online application form.

Upon receipt of your filming and photography application, you will receive an email regarding your request and a reference number. Please use this reference number in any correspondence.

Please note:

  • Submitting a filming or photography application does not guarantee approval.
  • Filming or Photography applications that include a drone require the below additional documents to be provided with your application:
    • CASA Certified Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) – per pilot
      Refer to CASA for further information on obtaining your Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) 
    • Remotely Piloted Aircraft Operator's Certificate (ReOC) - per pilot
      Refer to CASA for further information on obtaining your Remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC)
    • Certificate of Currency (CoC) 
      Drone operator’s Certificate of Currency for $20M public liability insurance including aviation coverage. The provision of the Drone Operator’s Certificate of Currency is in addition to the Certificate of Currency provided by the Permittee for the filming, as requested in the accompanying Filming and Photography OR Event Permit application form. The company listed on the ReOC (operator’s certificate) should be the same as the ‘insured’ company listed on the CoC. The CoC should also list the type/model of drone that will be operated.
    • Aircraft Operations Map outlining:
      • Take-off and landing locations
      • Proposed flight path
      • Proposed exclusion zone
      • Proposed location of spotters and demarcation signage
    • Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
      Document that outlines potential risks and how those risks will be controlled during the shoot.
  • A permit does not provide exclusive access to any area of a park / waterway. Public access must not be restricted during your filming or activity.
  • Complex applications may require a longer lead time.


Sustainable Filming and Photography Guide


Parks Victoria Sustainable Events Guide

Parks Victoria prides itself on its commitment to conservation and improving the health of our natural landscapes. The Parks Victoria’s Sustainable Events Guide is a useful tool for anyone organising an event or film shoot on Parks Victoria estate. It is designed to be used as a reference during planning to ensure you are making your filming as sustainable as possible.


Event, filming and photography FAQs

Check our frequently asked questions for answers about event, filming and photography on Parks Victoria's estate.


RPA / Drone Usage

If you would like to use a RPA / Drone as part of your shoot, you will be required to provide more information and documents. Visit the RPA and Drone Filming and Photography Permit application guidelines page for more information.



Permit fees can vary depending on the complexity of the Filming and Photography. Additional fees may apply for complex or high-impact shoots.

Check the fees schedule on our fees and charges page for a full list of charges.


Useful Links



For further information email


By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.