RPA and Drone Filming and Photography Permit application guidelines

If the use of a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) or a drone is proposed as part of your production or at your event, you will need to provide supporting documents with your event permit application form or filming and photography application form. If you would like to use a drone in your shoot, you must be or engage a fully licensed pilot and CASA-certified operator (including for drones weighing under 2kg). It is a strict requirement that a remote pilot license (RePL) and a remotely piloted aircraft operators' certificate (ReOC) is supplied. 


Permit lead time

Parks Victoria requires a minimum of 20 business days to process a drone filming and photography permit application from when all required documentation is received. Due to the high volume of applications, applications received within this timeframe will not be accepted.

How to submit a filming and photography application with a drone

1. Complete the Filming and Photography (including RPA-Drone) online permit application form.

2. Gather the RPA / drone supporting documents and attach to your application (detail on form).

3. Submit your online application form.

Please note:

  • Applicants are required to add weather hold dates to the permit application form.
  • Submitting a filming and photography application does not guarantee approval.
  • A permit does not provide exclusive access to any area of a park / waterway. Public access must not be restricted during your filming or activity.
  • Complex applications may require a longer lead time.
  • Any changes could incur further fees.
  • The below additional documents are mandatory and must be provided with your application:
    • CASA Certified Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) – per pilot
      Refer to CASA for further information on obtaining your Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) 
    • Remotely Piloted Aircraft Operator's Certificate (ReOC) - per pilot
      Refer to CASA for further information on obtaining your Remotely piloted aircraft operator's certificate (ReOC)
    • Certificate of Currency (CoC)
      Drone operator’s Certificate of Currency for $20M public liability insurance including aviation coverage. The provision of the Drone Operator’s Certificate of Currency is in addition to the Certificate of Currency provided by the Permittee for the filming, as requested in the accompanying Filming and Photography OR Event Permit application form. The company listed on the ReOC (operator’s certificate) should be the same as the ‘insured’ company listed on the CoC. The CoC should also list the type/model of drone that will be operated.
    • Aircraft Operations Map outlining:
      • Take-off and landing locations
      • Proposed flight path
      • Proposed exclusion zone
      • Proposed location of spotters and demarcation signage
    • Job Safety Analysis (JSA)
      Document that outlines potential risks and how those risks will be controlled during the shoot.

Upon receipt of your application, you will receive an email regarding your application and a reference number.  Please use this reference number in any correspondence.



Please note: Additional charges may apply for complex filming requests or for shoots that require ranger supervision.

Check the fees schedule on our fees and charges page for a full list of charges.



By using our site you accept that we use and share cookies and similar technologies with certain approved third parties. These tools enable us to improve your website experience and to provide content and ads tailored to your interests. By continuing to use our site you consent to this. Please see our Privacy Policy for more information.