Volunteer park walk leaders
Park Walk leaders are volunteers who provide free guided walks at selected Parks Victoria parks.
They guide the group along a designated route, creating a friendly and inclusive atmosphere for all participants and providing some interesting facts about the park along the way.
The Park Walks program is designed to provide the public with regular volunteer-led walks that encourage social inclusion and connection, provide the safety of a guided walk, and support community health and wellbeing through exercise.
Participating in the Park Walk leader volunteer program is a great way to help Parks Victoria by providing friendly guidance at some of Victoria’s most popular parks, encouraging participants to develop a regular walking habit and sense of community while connecting to nature.
All volunteers will receive specialised training and support from Parks Victoria.
The program currently runs at a number of parks including Gresswell Forest, You Yangs Regional Park, Lysterfield Park, Dandenong Ranges National Park, Coolart Wetlands & Homestead and Macedon Regional Park. Additional parks will be added to the program soon.
The Park Walks Program runs all year round with most parks offering weekly walks. Visit ParkConnect (search Volunteer Park Walk Leader group) to view current opportunities or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about upcoming Park Walk leader volunteer recruitment.
As a Volunteer Park Walk leader you will:
- Attend a 1-day training course
- Lead a 45-90 min walk once per week/ fortnight/month (depending on rostering and availability)
- Provide friendly, inclusive, social interaction with the park visitors
- Provide park information to the park visitors
- Alert park rangers to any trail hazards discovered on walking trails
- Collect data on numbers of participants and participant feedback
What key skills are needed?
Park Walk Leaders will need to be confident in public speaking, have a positive attitude, strong communication and enjoy engaging with people.
A National Police Check will be conducted online for all successful applicants, with the cost covered by Parks Victoria.
A Working with Children Check is also required and can be obtained by visiting www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au. This check is free for all Volunteers.
How to join:
If you are interested in becoming a Volunteer Park Walk leader follow these steps:
- Step 1: Register as a volunteer on ParkConnect
- Step 2: Join the Volunteer Park Walk Leader group or information session activities if they are scheduled.
The program coordinator will be in touch with further details.
For any questions, please email email@example.com