A small valley amongst snow gums and occasionally visited by the plateau's resident alpine dingo population, Dingo Dell is aptly named.
Dingo Dell in winter is the ideal location for toboganning, snow play and snow shoeing. In summer it is possible to walk up the old ski slopes to the top of the ridge for views across the plateau.
Dingo Dell is one of two toboggan and snow play areas located at Mt Buffalo. Its wide, gentle slopes offer a range of safe and enjoyable snow experiences.
Facilities at Dingo Dell include a designated toboggan slope, open areas for snow play, first aid room, take away food and drinks, toilets, and a marked snowshoe track to the hilltop above.
This winter with restrictions caused by COVID-19 there will be systems in place during anticipated busy periods, such as the school holidays and weekends, to ensure the safety of staff and visitors and compliance of restrictions.
At these busy times, Parks Victoria staff will limit the number of visitors permitted into the park at any one time. Once capacity is met, entry to the park will be temporarily halted.. Vehicles will be permitted to enter as other vehicles leave. Parks Victoria staff will be at the park entry to advise visitors. A message sign at the roundabout at Porepunkah will show the current entry conditions and any expected delays.
The following will also apply:
- Indoor shelter will not be available during school holidays and weekends, and will not be guaranteed at other times.
- Observe physical distancing of 1.5 metres at all times
- Do not gather in groups of more than 20 people
- There will be limits on parking and on-site signage will indicate availability
- Please continue to Cresta Valley if parking is full or turn around and visit other sites such as Grossmans Mill, the Gorge and Chalet.
- Do not join vehicle queues or park illegally.
- When there is enough snow cover for tobogganing, the toilets will be open every day from 10 am – 5 pm and the café will be open every day except Wednesdays.
- When there is no snow for tobogganing the café and toilets will be open for weekends only
- The café will only be offering takeaway café service from 10 am – 3 pm when open.
- Visitors are encouraged to come well prepared – bring sufficient food, drinks, warm and waterproof clothing, spare dry clothing etc.
Things To Do
The dedicated toboggan area is only available when there is adequate snow and is marked with fencing and signage.
All toboggan users must walk up the side of the slope to avoid being hit by those coming down the hill.
Conditions on the toboggan slope can deteriorate late in the day due to freezing, making the snow very fast and rock hard.
Only moulded plastic toboggans are allowed.
Check the daily snow report in the Change of Conditions section below.
How to get there
Travel from Porepunkah up the mountain and follow the signs at Tucker Box Corner to Dingo Dell. Turn right at the car park area and follow the small access road down to the café building. At the turning circle drive back out the way you came in and park on the left-hand side of the road. Once this access road is full of parked vehicles the road will be closed and all other vehicles must either continue to Cresta Valley or head back down the road to another site in the park. Do not park in the main car park.
Need to know
Change of Conditions
Nature being nature, sometimes conditions can change at short notice. It’s a good idea to check this page ahead of your visit for any updates.
Notices Affecting Multiple Parks
Seasonal road closures 2021
Some roads in this park are subject to seasonal road closures. Seasonal road closures generally operate after the long weekend in June through to the end of October, but may be extended due to seasonal conditions. Visit the seasonal road closures page for maps and more information.
Deer Control (ground shooting) operation underwayDeer control is being undertaken in this park from October 2021 to June 2022. Some access restrictions may apply. Find out more about this program at https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/projects/deer-and-feral-animal-control-in-response-to-bushfire
Mount Buffalo National Park
Planned Aerial shooting operationsParts of this Park will be closed from Monday 22nd November – Friday 26th November and Monday 29th November – Friday 3rd December 2021. Find out more about this program at https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/projects/deer-and-feral-animal-control-in-response-to-bushfire
Attachments: MBNP_InfoSignNovDec (518KB)