The St Kilda Breakwater is home to a colony of Little Penguins. The isolation of the breakwater is an ideal location for them to live. Just before dusk, you can view the colony coming ashore from the promenade on the St Kilda Breakwater. A viewing platform is accessible at the head of the pier, however, it can be very busy at times. We recommend visiting during weeknights to reduce traffic and for the protection of the penguins.
We hope you enjoy your visit, but please remember for the penguins health and safety:
- No handling or feeding of the penguins.
- No flash photography of the penguins or any torches shone on the penguins without a red filter over the front.
- Dogs and cats are prohibited past the entry gate into the penguin viewing area. Assistance dogs are the exception.
- Accessing, climbing or sitting on the rocks is prohibited.
- Entering and staying in the area past the fence on the breakwater is prohibited.
- No littering. Please take your rubbish with you.
- Keep at least 3 metres away from penguins moving around the viewing area.
The Little Penguin and Rakali are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975, and it is prohibited to interfere with the animals or their habitat.
If there is a wildlife emergency, please contact the Zoos Victoria Marine Response Unit on 1300 245 678.
Things to do
How to get there
There are no results matching your criteria.
Need to know
Change of Conditions
Nature being nature, sometimes conditions can change at short notice. It’s a good idea to check this page ahead of your visit for any updates.
St Kilda Pier and Breakwater
COVID-19 closures - penguin viewing platformIn response to advice from the Victorian Chief Health Officer about COVID-19, the pier remains open however, the penguin viewing platform is closed until further notice. For more information, please visit www.parks.vic.gov.au/covid19
St Kilda Pier redevelopmentFollowing a $50.3 million investment from the State Government, work is underway to rebuild the iconic St Kilda Pier. Find out more
St Kilda Pier and Breakwater (St Kilda Pier and Breakwater)
Restriction of Access by Public and Dogs to Breakwater and RocksA set-aside determination is in place to restrict public access to the breakwater beyond the gate and the rocks of the breakwater, any dog or cat from the breakwater. Public must remain on all formed paths and boardwalks
Attachments: RD signed_StKildaBreakwater_SetAside_101218 (278KB)