The St Kilda Breakwater is home to a colony of Little Penguins. The isolation of the breakwater is an ideal location for them to live. Just before dusk, you can view the colony coming ashore from the promenade on the St Kilda Breakwater. A viewing platform is accessible at the head of the pier, however, it can be very busy at times. We recommend visiting during weeknights to reduce traffic and for the protection of the penguins.
Join a Parks Victoria and Earthcare St Kilda led viewing experience of the penguin colony at St Kilda Breakwater. Tours are free, but bookings are essential. Find out more and register to attend.
We hope you enjoy your visit, but please remember for the penguins health and safety:
- No handling or feeding of the penguins.
- No flash photography of the penguins or any torches shone on the penguins without a red filter over the front.
- Dogs and cats are prohibited past the entry gate into the penguin viewing area. Assistance dogs are the exception.
- Accessing, climbing or sitting on the rocks is prohibited.
- Entering and staying in the area past the fence on the breakwater is prohibited.
- No littering. Please take your rubbish with you.
- Keep at least 3 metres away from penguins moving around the viewing area.
The Little Penguin and Rakali are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975, and it is prohibited to interfere with the animals or their habitat.
If there is a wildlife emergency, please contact the Zoos Victoria Marine Response Unit on 1300 245 678.
Things to do
How to get there
Need to know
Change of Conditions
Nature being nature, sometimes conditions can change at short notice. It’s a good idea to check this page ahead of your visit for any updates.
Notices Affecting Multiple Sites
St Kilda Inner Lower Landing Partial Closure
The St Kilda Inner Lower Landing has been partially closed for public safety.There is a temporary fence around the western end of the landing. Access is still available on the eastern end of the landing via the ramp.
Closure of the St Kilda Penguin Colony Viewing Area (St Kilda Breakwater)Under the direction of the Chief Health Officer and in accordance with Department of Health and Human Services' requirements, the St Kilda Penguin Colony viewing area will remain closed until further notice. This is to reduce the number of people moving around the community and reduce the risk of transmission. Please visit http://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus for the most recent updates on current restrictions.