Tower Hill Revitalisation
Last updated: September 2023
- Conservation works on the Robin Boyd-designed Visitor Centre are progressing well.
- otential improvements in the reserve, including to walking trails.
- Designs are being finalised with the Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation for upgrades to the cultural dancegrounds.
Located outside Warrnambool, in Victoria’s south-west, the Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve is a unique volcanic landscape with significant cultural, environmental, geological and historical values.
Already much-loved by the local community, Tower Hill is also becoming a stop-off destination for visitors, particularly given its proximity to the Great Ocean Road region and the Budj Bim National Park World Heritage site.
In 2021, an Activation and Linkages Plan was released following public consultation to improve visitors’ experience of the reserve, celebrate its cultural heritage, and explore better connections with the surrounding region.
Guided by this plan, works are being delivered to conserve the Robin Boyd-designed Visitor Centre and the nearby toilet and amenities building. Other potential upgrades are also being explored, including to walking trails and the reserve's existing cultural dancegrounds.
Above: the heritage-listed Visitor Centre at Tower Hill.
Opened in 1971, the Robin Boyd-designed Visitor Centre is an iconic feature at Tower Hill. Following approval by Heritage Victoria, repairs and maintenance are ready to commence, ensuring the building continues to welcome visitors into the future. The building’s conical roof, which reflects the dormant volcano in which it sits, will be carefully restored, along with:
- restoration of timber windows and doors
- restoration of roof beams including stripping back to original timbers and sealing
- re-pointing of stonework
- resorting and sealing concrete slab flooring
- installation of new central concrete table
- upgrade of lighting, heating and cooling to allow greater usability.
Restoration of the Visitor Centre is being funded from an $11.3 million Victorian Government investment in Tower Hill, which has already delivered upgrades to the reserve’s entrance, including car parking and a viewing area.
Works on the Visitor Centre are expected to be completed in late 2023, subject to on-ground and construction industry conditions.
A timeline for other projects in the reserve be updated shortly.
Who are we working with?
Parks Victoria and Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation are working in partnership on this project funded by Regional Development Victoria.
The Tower Hill Visitor Centre is currently closed.
Changes to visitor access in the reserve will be shown under 'Change of Conditions' on the Tower Hill Wildlife Reserve park page.