Mindfulness walks in nature
Even doing low to moderate exercise in nature on a regular basis can help to lower blood pressure, improve sleep and increase energy levels. Mindfulness walks take this idea further and help you slow down and focus on the present moment - each step, each breath – feeling calm and relaxed.
Top tips for mindfulness walks in nature:
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Start by standing still and becoming aware of your body and how it feels. Take 2-3 deep breaths and focus your thoughts on the present moment.
- Begin to walk slightly slower than normal pace. With each step, be aware in the moment of how your foot connects with the ground – heal-to-toe.
- Breathe naturally and fully, deeply filling your lungs each time you inhale – pause – and exhale.
- When your attention drifts away take notice without judgment and gently guide your awareness back to the present moment. This is completely normal and gets easier with practice.
- When you finish your walk, take a few deep breaths, pause and reflect on the calm sense of being in nature. Slowly return to your regular activity.
- Start by doing this mindful walking between 5 to 20 minutes. You can increase it over time.
Find out more about walks near you
There’s a walking trail that’s perfect for everyone. Parks Victoria offers a range of free guided park walks from easy to intermediate, kids walks, café walks and discovery walks that provide information on natural, cultural and heritage features.