RPA and Drone Filming and Photography Permit application guidelines
If the use of a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) or a drone is proposed as part of your production or at your event, you will need to submit a drone application form and supporting documents. If you would like to use a drone in your shoot, you must be or engage a fully licensed pilot and CASA-certified operator (including for drones weighing under 2kg). It is a strict requirement that a remote pilot license (RePL) and a remotely piloted aircraft operators certificate (ReOC) is supplied.
In addition to completing a drone application you must complete a filming and photography application.
Permit lead time
Parks Victoria requires a minimum of 20 business days to process a drone filming and photography permit application from when all required documentation is received. Due to the high volume of applications, applications received within this timeframe will not be accepted.
How to submit a filming and photography application with a drone
1. Download and complete the RPA / Drone filming permit application form.
2. Gather the RPA / drone supporting documents (detail on form).
3. Submit all documents with the commercial filming and photography application form and documents (Word, XLS, PDF, JPG files only) to email@example.com.
- RPA / Drone application form and documents must be submitted in conjunction with a commercial filming or event permit application. A RPA / drone application will not be accepted without a complete event, wedding or filming application.
- Multiple dates and parks can be nominated in one application. Applicants are required to add weather hold dates to the permit application form.
- Submitting a RPA / drone application does not guarantee approval.
- A permit does not provide exclusive access to any area of a park / waterway. Public access must not be restricted during your filming or activity.
- Complex applications may require a longer lead time.
- Any changes could incur further fees.
Upon receipt of your application, an Customer Support Officer will contact you regarding your request. Other relevant documentation may be required.
Please note: Additional charges may apply for complex filming requests or for shoots that require ranger supervision.
Check the fees schedule on our fees and charges page for a full list of charges.