Cape Conran Coastal Park Bushfire Recovery
Parks Victoria is reconstructing the campground and visitor facilities at Cape Conran following major bushfire damage in summer 2019/20.
The recovery work includes rebuilding accommodation and visitor facilities, installing a drinking water and wastewater connection at Banksia Bluff campground and installing a new shared-use path between Marlo and Cape Conran.
These essential improvements will enhance visitor enjoyment of the park, improve connectivity between Marlo and Cape Conran while simultaneously providing an economic benefit to the local communities.
For information about biodiversity impacts and other bushfire recovery projects, visit our Bushfire Recovery landing page.
What is being built
- Construction of new roofed accommodation.
- Reinstatement of bore water and electricity supplies
- Rebuilding of the popular activity/education centre
- Constructing a wastewater and drinking water connection from Marlo to Cape Conran.
- Reopening of non-fire damaged cabins and Olive-Berry Lodge
- Planning underway for construction of new roofed accommodation.
Recent completed works
- Community consultation to aid planning of new roofed accommodation is complete. For more information visit: https://engage.vic.gov.au/cape-conran-coastal-park-roofed-accommodation
- Reconstruction of beach accesses between East Cape and Banksia Bluff campground
- Installation of temporary campground office and toilet facilities at Banksia Bluff
- Rebuilding of Salmon Rocks boardwalk reinstating beach access
- Removal of hazardous trees
- Removal of burnt infrastructure
- Repairs to toilets
- Rebuilding beach access points at Banksia Bluff Campground
- Installation of temporary operational facilities to support staff.
Expected project duration and key dates
Works commence – mid 2020
Works estimated completion dates:
- Reconstruction and recovery - mid 2023
- Potable water and sewerage upgrade, and shared path from Marlo to Conran– end 2023
Victorian Government Gippsland Tourism Recovery Package: $3.5 million
Victorian Government bushfire recovery funding: $13.1 mililon
Approximately $9 million insurance funds
For more information on what there is to see and do at Cape Conran Coastal Park, please visit: https://www.parks.vic.gov.au/places-to-see/parks/cape-conran-coastal-park